Friday, February 11, 2011

Meatloaf

I’m in the midst of a deep freeze here in Chicago. If it’s not snowing, it’s icy. We've had days where the wind chills are in the 20-below-zero range. We've had Snowmageddon. And I have had a bottle of water that was accidentally left in my car freeze solid.

On days like these, I refuse, kicking and screaming try to avoid leaving the warm embrace of my fleecy blanket, cuddled up on the couch watching a movie, Say Yes to the Dress, or Top Chef all while eating anything and everything I can get my hands on that will make me feel the slightest bit warmer!


As a kid, I turned my nose up at meatloaf, I always saw it as a ‘mystery meat’ platter. I don’t even recall whether I gave the poor slice of meat on my plate a chance before I tried to hide it in an air vent, or spread it around on my plate so that it looked like I at least tried some. Once I realized it was essentially a nicely seasoned, moist hamburger formed into a loaf, my prejudice vanished.


Few things are as easy or as comforting on a cold, snowy day than meatloaf. And, thankfully, this recipe is so easy, most people will have everything they need right in the freezer, fridge and/or pantry. If you don’t want to make two loaves, halve the recipe and make it in a single loaf pan. I usually make both loves, mainly because it freezes so well and if I can get two meals out of one prep period, I am going to do it.


This went perfectly with a side of parmesan garlic mashed potatoes, and sprinkled with just a bit of parsley.


Meatloaf

4 slices of bread, cut or torn into ~1/2” cubes
2 eggs
3/4 c milk
1 Tbsp Worcestershire
1/4 c celery
1/4 c onion
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork

Glaze
¼ c ketchup
2 Tbsp light corn syrup

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, soak bread crumbs in milk.

Add egg and beat with a hand mixer until well combined and few/if any chunks of bread remain.

Add celery, onion, Worcestershire, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Mix well.

Add beef and pork and mix gently but thoroughly.

Divide meat mixture in half and form into two loaves in two separate loaf pans or in one 8” x 8” pan.

Bake for 1 hour.

For the topping, mix together ketchup and corn syrup in a small bowl.

After 1 hour, top with ketchup/corn syrup mixture and bake for an additional fifteen minutes.

Serve.
























5 comments:

HealthnutFoodie said...

Hi Caroline! I saw your comment on dine&dish and wanted to let you know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE green tabasco as well. With two little girls, it is my go-to for lunch time soups!

Katie Newell
http://www.healthnutfoodie.com

Three-Cookies said...

Poultry seasoning with beef and pork? Interesting

Caroline said...

Katie - thanks so much for stopping by, I hope you keep coming back! I use green tabasco on pretty much everything I can, glad to know someone else shares the love!

Three-Cookies - I know, it sounds odd, but it really works with the other stuff in there. It isn't a ton of seasoning, and I think that's what helps. It's just enough to give it a "je ne sais quoi" without overpowering the whole dish.

oneordinaryday said...

This sounds good to me, especially paired w/ mashed potatoes. I'm with you on wanting to snuggle under a blanket until winter's over, but I might drag myself to the table for this. :) Stay warm!

Caroline said...

If you're like us, we don't even make it to the table all the time, we stay on the couch, snuggled in a blanket wtih a glass of wine and the meatloaf and potatoes. At least we're above freezing here finally, but I don't think I'm going to leave my 'nest' anytime soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...